Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Word of the Week: inimically

inimically: /adv./ acting unfriendly, hostile. injurious or harmful in effect. hurtfully. unfavorably. perniciously. detrimentally.

This word was a hard one for me this week (or maybe my brain is just fried right now), but here it goes . . .

inimically: /adv./ 1. Help me! I can't stop myself and I'm afraid I have behaved inimically toward my body today. I am on a kick of "accomplishing" things and that is not good for someone like me who can get obsessive (especially when pregnant, it's magnified by 10). Obsessed with getting this English class done quickly, the ever-sprouting weeds in my yard, and having a spotless house has worn me out. Today I weeded for a half an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening and I know I'll be feeling it in my 35-week pregnant body tomorrow! But I got a lot done and the back yard is looking more presentable. Then I hung out at Amy's house and did homework as I fought off the tiredness of the afternoon while she cleaned her house and our children played fabulously together. Cleaning and laundry on top of all that has officially worn me out. Every time I sit down, my mind tries to convince my body that it can do just one more thing . . . wiping down the bathroom isn't that much energy, is it??? At this point, my body is about to rebel if I let my mind win over it much more.

inimically: /adv./ 2. I felt very inimical toward life yesterday as I failed to satisfy the only food craving I have had this pregnancy. To me, cravings seem a pregnancy myth because I have never experienced one . . . until yesterday. Saturday I ate cinnamon hearts at my sister-in-law's house and had craved them all through the Sabbath. So Monday I determined to get my hands on a bag. My patient mother drove me from store to store - five in all - on this quest until I finally gave up and we went back to her house empty-handed.

inimically: /adv./ 3. I hope that the inimical weather of Iowa doesn't kill Nate! Megan called me today and said that a storm is coming in that will bring the low down into the negative 20's. I can't even fathom how cold that must be! I'll have to warm up Nate when he gets home...

3 comments:

Megan said...

If I were talking to you right now, I'd be screaming at you. WHY?? Why weed for an hour and a half, I yelled at you this morning, and was so mad to hear you say you weeded for an extra hour last night. You're insane!! Maybe it makes me feel so angry because I have no issues at all with sitting/laying on the couch all day with my heating pad, and I feel guilty imagining you weeding and homeworking and cleaning...

Amy said...

I can't imagine having a wild, insatiable craving for cinnamon hearts of all things! Give me chocolate or ice cream & call it good. I loved having you over while I went about my own business. And it's always easier to get things done when the kids play happily together.

April said...

Oh, I hate those cinnamon hearts...I should have horded all my kids and sent them along to you. And sit down already! 35 weeks...good night! I was happy if I could get a shower in at 35 weeks.