Monday, March 2, 2009

Saturday

This Saturday gave me three things that I am passionate about:

1. Nathan
2. Books, books, books
3. American Patriotism/History

A huge thanks to Cyndee for playing mother to my three girlies all (8:00 - 5:00) day long while Nate and I attended a seminar about American History and the Constitution -- the miraculous way it came about as well as it's content. Just the fact that Nate devoted his whole Saturday to something so near and dear to my heart without complaint melts my heart. He is totally interested in history and govt, but just isn't the type to choose to sit all day in a classroom setting (it may be a slight ADD-thing) and yet he did so willingly -- to be with me -- to make me happy. Thank you! Both he and I loved it and learned a ton of things we'd never been taught before.

my passions were included in the following ways:

1. I got to spend all day learning while sitting next to Nate. Lunch was spent in discussion after which we explored downtown Mesa which brings me to the books.

2. We discovered an awesome bookshop that smelled of old books. I love that smell. It reminded me of an old bookstore Megan and I used to frequent in Denver where this painting hung. From that time on, I swore that one day I would have a library and this picture (by Fragonard) would be the focal point amongst all the books. Don't you just love it?

Anyway, Nate and I spent most of lunch looking at all the books. That's one of the things I love about Nate - he wants to learn about anything and everything. If he hears something he's never heard of then I can be assured he will be searching it on the internet the minute we get home. Always learning; I like that. Plus, we could both spend hours perusing a book store together (and we've had many a date doing so).

I also went away from the seminar with a list of books I need to eventually get for my "I love America bookshelf" the instructer kept referring to. Some of those include: The Real George Washington, The Real Benjamin Franklin, The Real Thomas Jefferson, The Making of America: The Substance and Meaning of the Constitution, and The Federalist Papers. Those are just for starters to go along with my 5,000 Year Leap.

I will just add that my comments on the 5,000 Year Leap a couple posts ago should be edited, thanks to a friend for reminding me that the leap could never have taken place without the restoration of the gospel. In my mind, nothing is secular therefore it's all just one chain of spiritual events and the making of America was a step that Heavenly Father played a huge part in so that He could establish the gospel once again on the earth. We needed freedom of religion in order for Joseph Smith to restore the gospel in it's fullness. But don't take my word for it, just go read 1 Nephi 13, which chronicles everything from Columbus' discovery of America through inspiration to divine help in the Revolutionary War.

3. As a former history major (turned humanities), I LOVE LOVE LOVE history. It intrigues me and so the whole day spent learning about the forming of America and it's founding documents entertained me to no end while others probably think I'm psycho. The seminar was put on by the National Center for Constitutional Studies. There were many stories about divine help received during the war as well as during the constitutional convention. And then just learning what the constitution actually says was refreshing considering how government has gotten so out of control over the past decades. I am just so grateful that we have this document and I hope that more people will read it and encourage our government leaders to follow it more.

I 100% agree with James Madison when he said the following:

"A well instructed people alone can permanently be a free people." and

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."

The only way to figure out solutions to our country's problems is to look back into history and learn from other people's mistakes. We must be educated so that we can know if this or that has been tried before and whether or not it succeeded or failed. That is exactly what the Founding Fathers did: they studied other civilizations and governments to see which worked and which didn't. They learned from the Greeks and Romans what not to do and from the Israelites (Moses) and the Anglo-Saxons what to do.

And don't get me wrong when I talk about America's current situation, I'm not bashing on the current president because our last one started the whole ball rolling. I'm not for democrat or republican - I'm for whoever will do what is in line with our Founding Fathers and things that make sense -- I just wish there were more leaders out there to fit that description

Plus, I'm calmer over the whole thing when I remind myself that when all is said and done, Heavenly Father is in charge and He knows what needs to happen so I'll just have faith and do what his prophets have asked -- stay out of debt, have some money saved, and have a year supply to sustain my family in case of job-loss or anything else that might come our way.

What a great Saturday!!!!

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

Now that's a neat Saturday date!

Megan said...

Wow, I don't know if I could spend a whole Saturday in class. Interesting stuff, glad you got to enjoy yourself.

Amy said...

Aleta used to have that picture as a large cross stitch in her bedroom. It was gorgeous...one I've always loved.

Any time spent in downtown Mesa is worthwhile in my book!

Sara"Fantabulous" Smith said...

Seriously Mandi - you are amazing! I love reading these posts of yours b/c it gets me excited about history all over again or at least to learn something new or relearn it again! Again - you are amazing!

Sara