Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Why Blog????

I have been reading (and enjoying) blogs since my sisters started - Amy and Megan (sorry, JoDee, but you're just not a blogger with six entries in six months). I've also been pestered (in a good way) quite a bit from the most unlikely of corners -- Megan's sister-in-law (Susan), my brother-in-law (Amy's Jim), and of course, my sisters. JoDee even went so far as to say that I was not allowed to comment on her blog unless I had my own. . . I guess rules were made to be broken because I commented on all her posts (maybe that's why she stopped). So, JoDee -- you can now start blogging again so that, with the grand debut of my blog, I can comment on yours and not feel guilty !

Seriously, though, I did resist a little, not wanting to do everything everyone else was doing, but then I realized I was writing my own blog in my head every time I read the others. The only problem was that my mind-blog would go away just as quickly as it came (I have a bad memory - can't remember a movie I saw two years ago bad). Then, a couple weeks ago, I was reading Kelly's blog and it hit me like a ton of bricks the reason why I felt a pulling inside to blog. Here's what she wrote that caused my mini-epiphany (if any epiphany can be called mini).

It was one of those experiences where you just wonder how and why this event was necessary for my further growth and progression as a human being. How is it possible that this much of my life involves unpleasant human biproducts? And why in the world am I writing about it? I'm writing about it so that someday, when my girls are moms and they have a day with an abundance of yuck and cleaning products they can pull out a leather bound volume of Mom's Blog (Ha!) and know that it happens to everyone.

Leather bound volume of mom's blog. The words stuck with me and I realized what I'd been putting off for so long (knowing I would eventually do) was the perfect answer to an elusive gospel principle that I've been trying to get better at ever since getting married: JOURNALING (is that the word?). So whoever chooses to check in on me every once in a while, be prepared for lots of stories about my crazy little girls who say the darnedest things!

Oh, and congratulations Kelly on being the final straw the broke me down!

The last reason I have decided to start blogging is FAMILY. I have siblings who live in Utah and Iowa and it's hard to keep tabs on them and I'm sure they feel the same. So here's my valiant step forward in the communication department (since I'm not much good on the phone calling thing).

Nate also has an amazing family that lives far away and whom we rarely see -- from Denver to South Carolina to Paris, France. I love Gran who lives in South Carolina and want her to be able to keep up on our family. Nate also has two brothers who live in Denver and Paris and who have the cutest kids ever and I rarely get to see them! So, I'm hoping to convince my sisters-in-law to start something similar so that I can get to know my nieces and nephews better and keep up on their lives and feel like I know them a little better next time I see them.

Megan and Staci .... ready....set....go! Save as Draft

5 comments:

Megan said...

Welcome to the blogging world!! I'm so excited to read up on you everyday.

Amy said...

Yay! I love it!

Susan said...

I'm so glad that you started a blog. I know I'm technically not related, but I feel like I am. I can't wait to get to know your little family.

Anonymous said...

Well, if Emerson's unfortunate bathroom incident could break you down, then I'm glad it happened! Welcome to blogging -- yahoo!

sista # 2 said...

I too started blogging because my sistas were. We still have 1 sista who doesn't-I think she's missing out on journaling her family, pix,life, etc. for the 4 other sistas to see. So welcome to this crazy blog world. As Amy told me -"don't watch American Idol, etc. I blog!" I think it's a worthy past time ;)(to a degree!)-Janae